Decoupaging old books with old letters…

I saw books like these at a very high-end boutique. They were nothing but ordinary books decoupaged in copies of old letters and ephemera for…get this…$25.00 a piece! I thought they were very cool and I wanted some for display at home, but not for that!

I printed out some letters and postcards and got to work with some garge sale books. The best thing is, they don’t have to be old books on the inside, so I just used some regular hard covers that were the right size that I knew I was never going to read.

About 15 minutes later, I had all 3 done and drying for under $3!

The best way to do it is to print on highest resolution and let the ink dry before you start.It took about 5 large letters to cover and trim a book. Trim before you paste! Also, Mod Podge the back of the paper and the book surface;but don’t over work it because with an ink jet, the ink can start coming off after too much handling. Trim the paper to the book surface where it bends to make a smooth transition and just fold the excess around the edges of the flaps.
When they are dry do one more top coat. I also used my distress ink stamp pads to make the paper look even older.I kind of rubbed it on the edges.Here are a couple of letters to get you started if you are interested in trying it. I’ve picked them up from here and there and I wish I could remember where from!You could also do this with old labels, tags, fabric patterns, sheet music, photos etc…. If you are looking for more, Dawn at The Feathered Nest always shares amazing ephemera with her readers and is such a sweet person to boot. Stop in and say hi!

Comments

You are such a clever crafty girl, dolling up those books for a fraction of the price. I have a hunch you and I would get along swimmingly.

What a wonderful project! I LOVE the look of the vintage coverings. I’m jealous of your collection of printable vintage letters and ephemera. ;) There is potential for so many beautiful projects with those! Thanks for sharing your crafty idea!

Thank you for sharing your projects/treasures. You are so talented. You make me want to start painting my dark furniture (I am afraid of doing that).
    Thanks,
    Cheryl

What a beautiful and thrifty idea! Also I love your little console update. I was at my aunt’s this week and she had pieces that looked like this, but she paid a LOT more for. Great job!

What a fabulous idea! It turned out so pretty…I’m gonna have to add this to the ever growing list of “projects to attempt” Since I’ve never used that mod podge stuff I’m looking forward to a new experience!

How clever! I think they are just lovely! I think I’ll have to do this to, maybe some of my Jane Austens! I can put the title back on it! I just love it! Thank you!