Making a faux paneled door…It’s not faux bad.

On Saturday, my wonderful hubby took all the kids out for the day so I could have a free day to myself… do you think with all of that time I sat on the couch with bon-bon’s and a trashy romance novel? Oh no.. I finally decided to tackled a project that I had been dying to do for ages… a faux panel door.
For 8 year, I looked at this ugly door, not sure what to do with it… I finally decided a paneled door would be nice. Plus I had nightmares of this mirror falling off and reducing our income tax deductions by one…
After removing the mirror and filling the holes, I marked out where my panels would go.
I then cut my molding. I would recommend if you only have a regular miter box like I do, go with pine molding. Oak is impossible to cut and I would be lying if I didn’t tell you after cutting these 8 pieces, my arms was tired and I was sweating… I am so out of shape. After you measure and cut you pieces lay them out. I found the trick to cutting the right length is to make sure that I am measuring from longest part of my 45 degree angle.
Lay them out on the floor to make sure you have the right size pieces. I only mis-cut one piece. Using a molding that had a certain direction to it made it a little harder to. I actually had to back cut one side all of the time to make sure I had the right direction and angle.

I then.. glued them to the door with a mixture of wood glue and..um… yes, hot glue. I am sure it’s not a carpenter’s dream; but it’s a hollow door so I didn’t think nails would really help. And I’ll tell you, that hot glue sticks fast and I couldn’t pull it off, so I don’t think it’s going any where.

I used a level to make sure they were on right as I put them on. After putting them on, I also put a wood embellishment at the top.

And then I wood puttied any spot I had a huge gap like here (Let it dry and sand it smooth.).

Once it was up, I let it dry for a day so the wood glue could cure.

And then I painted!~

For fun, I added an antique brass door tag I got in Kentucky.. It says “law offices”. I thought that would be kind of funny for a bathroom. I wish I had found one that said “library.”
The project including trim and paint cost under $30.00 if you have none of the supplies(Not including a miter box, but they aren’t that much). I already had the paint and wood filler so all I needed was the trim.
To figure out how much trim you need, pre-measure your panels. My panels were 37 x 17 1/2 and 23 x 17 1/2 and it took about 3 hours to measure, cut the trim and glue.
I think I am going to age to door a little to make the molding pop a little. But it wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. I would just recommend buying a little extra molding for mistakes and not doing it in the middle of your kitchen floor like I did. It makes a little bit of a saw dust mess . ;)
For every one asking about my dining room make-over, it’s coming; I’m just waiting on fabric.
~Jen

Comments

Gosh, that turned out soooo cute! I love how you can just do it and not depend on “the hubs” to do it for you. Great idea, sweet chick….
    Smoochies,
    Connie

I love this!!! And you know what? I could KISS YOU, because we have 2 ugly doors that we keep saying we are going to REPLACE and one of them we are thinking of replacing with a frosted glass door….so I just know if we go with your project instead….we will save sooooo much money!

I would want to do an arch in my panel though, to go with the arches on my front porch…I wonder how challenging that would be…but I don’t care, I will make hubby do that anyways ;) haha I am so nice :)

Or if we couldn’t do that, I could always add an arched embellishment to the top, like you did….wow, Jen, this is an amazing project, it makes such a difference! Thanks for sharing!

Bella
    PS: Love the law office sign, so cute….if/when you sell your house, I bet *that* sign will sell it alone ;)

grrr…I think my comment didn’t post…if it did this is gonna look pretty stupid. But what I said was…….

Hear that sound??? Thats me standing up at my desk (at work) and clapping loudly. I’d whistle but people would stare!. I can’t believe how great that turned out! I hope you patted yourself on the back…and I’m sure your hubby was impressed! I know I am! And I love the little plaque. Great job!!!

Hi Jen, sorry about all your problems with your blog. Glad you were able to get up and running again. I always enjoy seeing what projects you come up with.
    Nice improvement to the door. I love the addition of the brass nameplate. MDF mouldings are pretty easy to cut too. However they make quite a mess since they’re basically sawdust and glue. I also saw door mouldings made out of some sort of polyurethane, all ready to go, just glue and/or nail. It’s probably more expensive than DIY. I bought crown mouldings in that product and they are so light weight and cut light a hot knife through butter.

Have a great day! :)

Oh Jen, I was so scared you were going to do one of those tromp de o’elll things I have collected all kinds of info and book on how to do, but just do not have the … what is the word… hum… TALENT for! You have the perfect solution! That is beautiful! Hey, I am not a designer. You might see this again…

Thanks so much for sharing!

What a great idea! We have 5 plain hollow doors in our hall that are very boring. I painted a mural on the back of the front door and have been meaning to do something with these others. Just haven’t gotten around to it yet. Yours looks really good. Very creative. Thanks for sharing! :) Sharon

oh my, you have more patience than me, for sure, there is no way I would have attempted that and I have some way ugly doors in this cottage. I would love tho to have a go at something like this, to be honest, I am getting a bit sick of having to rely on Mr BeachCottage to do the, ‘manly’ jobs, like putting a nail in the wall or putting up a shelf, it’s about time this gal started it herself! and you’ve just given me the push to have a go, so thanks for the inpsiration lol!

great job

I just came over from Kimba’s site and I am sooooo excited about this post!! I have 50’s style doors in my 50’s house. They weren’t well cared for and have paint smudged on them in several places so I have been thinking that it’s time to paint the wood out but wasn’t excited about the flat door look. I am so excited to try this!

WOw, cool! We want to do panels in our dining room…but I don’t see that project happening for at least anohter YEAR! Yes, a Year!

But your door looks great.

Jillian

Thanks for posting these photos! Your door looks great. This is VERY helpful to me as I’ve just been pricing replacing the 5 very boring doors in my rather small condo. A very nice and talented guy said he’s not willing to charge me what it would cost to replace these doors (which are in fine condition – they’re just ugly) with paneled ones. He’s offering instead to do what you’ve done here – but I just couldn’t visualize what it would look like – now I can!! Think once he does this and updates hardware it will really make a difference.

Good for you for doing it yourself!

Forgot to ask – how wide is that molding you used – it looks perfect – simple and elegant – so I’m wondering what is width?

Anonymous says

Beautiful. I found your site looking for Door Panels and Faux Door Panels….thank you so much. I’m off to Home Depot today.

Duh….to myself I’m saying duh, why didn’t I think of that before! I have one very ugly door right smack dab in the middle of our foyer. It’s the entry to the garage. Yes, it sounds strange and it’s probably very hard to picture. Anyways, enough about my door…Yours is beautiful! I adore all your wood embellishments also

Wishing a blessed week

Hello! I went digging on Pinterest for some ideas on updating my boring hollow-core doors, I was so pleased to find the answer on your blog! Love your site, and I can’t wait for your CMB 2.0 class (none of which has anything to do with my door issues:). I saw you posted this in 2008 – how has the hot glue held up?