Welcome to my new kitchen…..

Finally the saga is over.
3 months.
finally.
I never thought I could love a white kitchen.
I love a white kitchen.
After 10 years, we are finally out of “The Oak Cave”. I can’t believe this is my kitchen because I never thought I could live somewhere so pretty.
 Come on in….
 Before
 After

I had my grandmother’s chandelier rewired. It’s from the 1930′s. For $45 I couldn’t buy a new one!
We actually decided to REMOVE some cabinets and replace them with  a hutch. The cabinets we had were really inefficient and just seemed to hold crap.
Before
after

Before
after

The light fixture over the sink is a thrift store find I made over.
And I do love our countertops. So far they are gorgeous and easy to take care of and environmentally and health friendly!
Thank you so much for your patience! I had a rough time with the lighting this morning so I hope the pictures show everything well enough. I’ll be going over some of the details in another post, but for now, I just wanted to get the wait over!
It was quite the journey, but definitely well worth it! It helped we had the best contractor ever, he was fast, organized and sooo easy to work with. If you live in northern Illinois and need someone,  Klaske construction does an amazing job.

Comments

It’s fabulicious Jen! SO happy for you that it’s all done – and just in time for the Holidays! It’s perfect. Great job girl!
    xoxo,
    Kim

It’s simply wonderful Jen. You’ve done a great job. I get overwhelmed by the thought that you painted all those cabinets. What a huge job. Can you share the paint color you used for the cabinets and why you changed you mind about the other color you had chosen? You’ve inspired me to try to do this re-do in our “oak cave”. Thanks!!

Jen what a transformation,a nd i love love love the hutch, gives so much more character to the kitchen and I love the color of it, so perfect!!! you did a fabulous job, the floors make it so warm and cozy and it looks like you have enough space to do all your cookin!! yipee, thanks for sharing, so so so pretty!! off to share your kitchen on twitter! yeah!

Jen! I love it! I love it! So beautiful and I love the hutch, chandy everything! Its perfect and worth the wait. Amazing transformation! Enjoy your new kitchen just in time for the holiday! Have a great weekend! lulu

Beautiful! I’m sure you’re loving it. That chalk board is great. I may go find an old frame tucked away in my attic and do the same thing! Cool. I also like the dish towel holder at the sink – fantastic idea! Why didn’t I think of that?

Gorgeous! I love the soft white against the dark floors. The hutch is fabuloso!!! I want to put on my softest socks so that I can slide across the kitchen floor to stand under the amazing chandelier just smiling and taking it in!

I love what you did with your kitchen. I will be remodeling mine after the Holidays, and I can not wait.
    Also going from oak to white. I love, love, love the addition of the hutch. Outstanding!

Beautiful!! My dream is to one day have a white kitchen.
    I love where you put your dish towel…this is always a problem…where to hang the dish towel! I hate having to hang my dish cloths on the oven door handle.
    Love the glass cupboard as well.
    Pamela :)

oh.my.everlivin’.goodness!! can i come live in your kitchen??! ;0)
    it is absolutely fabulous!! congratulations, i’m SO happy for you!

prairie hugs,
    kristin

Your kitchen is absolutely amazing! The counter tops are to die for and so is your hutch makeover,you must be so pleased. Head on over to my place I’m having a giveaway!

Absolutely perfecto Jen! Love love love it! And being that I am going thru a remodel right now, I can totally understand the feeling of accomplishment that you must have – I cant wait to be there too!
    So, I have to know….what color beige to you have on your walls? :)

Jenn:
    Your kitchen remodel is absolutely fabulous! I love the hutch, the wood countertops (we have wood, too!), and overall effect. You’re going to love this kitchen for many years to come, girlfriend. Thanks for putting us out of our collective misery by sharing photos. I’ve been dying to see what you did! I wasn’t disappointed.
    Enjoy…ENJOY!
    xoxo
    Donna

I don’t usually comment, but WOW your kitchen is stunning! I love the color of floors you picked especially. It’s the perfect hue of not too dark and not too light. Lovely!

so beautiful!!! I love every detail. I have a feeling when we finaly sell our house in TN and buy a new one here in NC I will be redoing lots of things. I will use your kitchen as inspiration FOR SURE!!! just lovely! good job!!

jen it turned out just beautiful! i love the white! i love that you took out the cabinets and put in a hutch it adds so much warmth! love your grandmother’s chandie so pretty. you must be so happy! congrats on finishing and surviving :) enjoy it! susan

Beautiful!! You have done an awesome job! What a great idea to remove the cabinets and add the hutch! And your grandmom’s chandy is beautiful!
    Wendy

Oh, Jen – it’s just beautiful! I love it! You did a great job. The chandelier is perfect and I love that it was your grandma’s and the hutch is amazing!! Congratulations!

wow, it doesn’t even look like the same kitchen! I love your kitchen, and the idea of replacing cabinets with a hutch is just genius. What a great space to spend time with friends and family…enjoy!

Judy

Beautiful! It is so much lighter and brighter and just lovely. I love that you tore out some cabinets and replaced them with the fabulous hutch you painted. All your hard work was worth it!

Hi Jennifer-

You must be one happy smiling girl having such a beautiful kitchen. What a great transformation. I bet it is hard to leave the room – I would want to keep taking it all in. Perfect timing to have it complete – just in time for the hoildays. Just beautiful!

My best- Diane

Oh, it’s really lovely! I’m so happy for you. Your pictures are just great and so…is that HUTCH!

Have a beautiful weekend,

: )

Julie M.

ps We are backsplash twins…I have white beaded board too! : )

Sooooooo beautiful, spacious, and decorated perfectly! I love it!! We redecorated ours too recently and I’m so glad to have our old wall paper gone and bright colors on our walls. We went with a lighter color on our cupboards too!

Jennifer~ WOW~ I love this, great transformation working mostly with the “bones” of the kitchen you already had! Amazing what a little paint and that hutch oh that hutch!! The counter tops are really great, add a nice warmth to the kitchen and love your magazine-worthy styling of greenery, etc.!! I’m gonna save some of these pics in my inspiration files!!! ;-)
    ~michelle~

WOW WOW WOW! How have I not seen your blog before? Your kitchen makeover is fabulous! It’s amazing what paint can do! I love that you have your grandmothers chandi in there, so special.
    We repainted our oak cabinets as well, such a difference.
    Have a great weekend!
    Take care
    Kristin

I would love to know the brand and color of paints you used for the walls and hutch. I’ve looked through the past post but can’t find it. :(

Ohh WoW Jennifer, your kitchen is so BEAUTIFUL!!!!! This is such a Awesome transformation, and how perfect that it is finished right in time for the holidays!!!!! I just know you are so going to enjoy cooking in that Beauty!!!! Enjoy, and thanks for sharing…. Love it, Love it!!!!

Michelle Torres
    decorater4life@aol.com

I have been wanting to do mine for along time now.You did a great job and I love the hutch! I also really like the wood counter tops that’s what I would like as well.I like your blog design who designed it for you? ~Cheers Kim

OhMYGoodness!!! Your kitchen is amazingly beautiful. I LOVE it!!! The chandelier makes it so elegant. You’ve done a lovely job. I do hope you enjoy it for a long, LONG time! :-)

-FringeGirl

Oh my gosh…let me first say hello and good to meet you…then let me wipe the drool from my chin and say OH MY GOSH…..it is stunning…don’t think mine will compare to yours but I must thank you for the inspiration…I am going back for a second look…thanks so much for leaving me a note that led me to here!!! All the best,Chrissy

This kitchen is inspired! I need to do the same thing, except my cabs are maple. I love how you took out some cabs and put in a hutch instead in a painted finish. Love the bead board backsplash and the wood counters!! Following you now!

I’m in the process of a small remodel to my 1940′s kitchen and I would love to add a little island like you’ve got. Can you tell me the width of your kitchen? I can’t quite tell the size in comparison to mine. Thank you so much, your kitchen is beautiful!

New to blogs,
    Rebecca:)

I’m in the process of redoing my 1940′s kitchen and I would love to add a little island like you’ve got. Can you tell me the width of your kitchen? I can’t quite tell the size in comparison to mine. Thank you so much, your kitchen is beautiful!

New to blogs,
    Rebecca:)

OH! MY! GOSH! It is utterly devine. I just finished a (white) kitchen remodel and I so wanted wood countertops but I was afraid…terribly afraid of the upkeep and if they would really hold up. Hope you plan to extensively expound on the countertops when you give the run down on your kitchen’s details. I could seriously be tempted to rip out my new LG acrylic countertops for wood after seeing yours. I am so in love! The hutch and chandelier are pretty darn awesome too. Beautiful job! Enjoy!

How do you keep the germs out of the wooden counters? Who made them? I’ve seen them in Ikea for sale!!!

Where is the microwave?

Love white kitchens. Have a dated one right now, and in the planning and dreaming stages. Husband thinks I won’t be content without counters that I can disinfect, since I’m nutty about that. (I won’t even use our wooden cutting board :)
    Kate

Jen…this turned out FABULOUS!!!! How beautiful, serene and classic…love it all!! That hutch is gorgeous and what a great deal on your chandelier, so pretty!
    I am sure you will enjoy your new kitchen so much…you probably don’t want to go out of it. Just in time for Thanksgiving…enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving to you!!

Hugs,
    Victoria

JENNNNNN!!!!!!

I’m so sorry I’ve been MIA – I have just been reading long-overdue posts – and I am completely taken back by your kitchen!!! I am so excited for you and have saved some of them in my ‘dream decorating’ folder.

I’m not surprised – your eye is FABULOUS – it is seriously night & day different than before, isn’t it!?

Love it – so excited for you that it is all over – perfect timing!

xoxo

Oh Jennifer!

I finally had a chance to stroll through your new kitchen. It is truly a work of art! It has such an elegant and welcoming beauty.

You have to be so proud of what you did. You turned a nice ordinary kitchen into something so EXTRAORDINARY…what a fit you have.

So happy to be your follower..

Cori

Beautiful kitchen! Did you paint the cabinets? I’m currently painting my kitchen cabinets. I almost went with white, but ended up using a steely green grey.

Thanks so much for sharing. It turned out so perfect!

Jennifer – I just discovered your blog via Morning T. I am SO glad I did! I agree with her statement that she has a “blog crush”! I think I do now, too! lol! After totally drooling over your kitchen redo – I can now visualize what my “oak cave” would look like if I could ever convince hubby to let me paint it. *sigh*…..a girl can only hope…..

I’m your newest follower and am looking forward to learning more from you! :)

xoxo laurie

I just found your blog and love the looks of your “new” kitchen! I painted our cabinets white earlier this year and am still so beyond happy with how it transformed our kitchen!
    Blessings,
    Janet

Hi! Just found your blog – love, love, love it! And your kitchen is ‘right up my alley’ as us Brits would say :O)

Have a fab weekend,
    B x

Wow – just came over from Velvet & Linen. What a beautiful kitchen! I love how you styled it too, with the touches of green bringing out the white of the cabinets and the warmth of the wood. Love the hutch too – what a great touch!

I am decluttering my house in preparation for listing it for sale, and it is amazing how much ‘stuff’ I keep in my cabinets – I truly only use two of my cabinets. I use the drawers and storage under the cabinets much more.

I am really really considering butcher block for my home. I have a question for you? Which butcher block did you get from Ikea? The numerar in oak? Also, How did you get the nice edge on them? Did you have someone come in with a router and route the edges? Now, that it’s been a while, How are they holding up? Has it been easy to sand out any nicks or stains?

Oh how I DREAM of a white kitchen. You did an amazing job with the white renovation. I am going through a “white” phase right now too. Room by room, I am working to lighten and brighten.

OK I know that this was done last year but I just bought a new house and your kitchen island came to mind when I saw my new kitchen!! Was it a table and you put in a cabinet below it?? If you could share some details on your island I would be BEYOND Delighted!!

Anonymous says

Beautiful!! I am currently trying to paint my way out of my Oak cave and I like the way you matched your paritally exposed hinges to your cabinets. Did you spray them or paint over them? They look great in the photos. Do you like the way they look up close and in person? Thanks, Leigh

Anonymous says

Hello! – Where did you get your towel bar in front of your sink? I love that!
    Cindy

I love it!! I found the pic of your kitchen last week in a magazine and had to make some changes. I had just bought a very similar shandy from my neighbor, I couldn’t believe she put it in her garage sale for $20! I snatched it up and it’s now hanging so bright, AND we got the breadboard up over the weekend. The painter is coming Friday. Two quick questions.. In the mag you did find a light for over the sink, where? I am interested in knowing how you did the hinges as well? And about the front towel bar? Please email me at christin.black@yahoo.com! Thx

Stunning transformation, I love your style! Would love to cook in this kitchen it is so light and bright. Our cabinets are just about the same as the before shots, been thinking of painting ours as well. Great inspiration.

TRICIA says

OMG…I WAS JUST CHECKING OUT 24 Amazing Kitchen Makeovers ON COUNTRY LIVING AND YOUR KITCHEN WAS ON THERE!! SO COOL THAT I KNEW IT WAS YOUR KITCHEN AS SOON AS I SAW IT!! LOL JUST WANTED TO SHARE!!

Trackbacks