What are the 2012 trends???

I know there was a collective gasp of disbelief when Pantone announced their color pick for 2012….
Tangerine Tango…aaccck!

I can’t even imagine putting that color in my house.. then again…

I learned at a conference that home decor is 6 months to a year behind fashion, and I know for a fact that blogland is about 1 to 2 years ahead of the rest of the world, and even farther out till I can afford it at Homegoods :)  So, I am not super concerned about it. After all, 2010 was turquoise and look how popular blue is now.

And 2009 was Mimosa which I have to admit I was seeing a lot the  last year in pops of color on accessories.

And I am now noticing shades of the 2011 pick creeping slowly into the view…..
Though fuschia does pair really well with both blue and grey, and pops so prettily against the neutral trend of whites and ivories.

Source: d30opm7hsgivgh.cloudfront.net via Jill on Pinterest

So, with all of that in mind, maybe tangerine tango has it’s place?

So what do you think about the trends? What do you think is coming up, even if it’s not your style?
Here are my 6 top picks… please chime in with any others, and feel free to disagree… :)

1. Crochet accessories
2. Natural stones
3. Natural Paper
4. Danish Modern resurgence
5. Dark  blue  denim
6. More color, but brights not jewel tones

And What do you think the Pantone color will be for 2013?? I have my guesses and I am guessing a very saturated  green ….I would love to hear your opinion. :)

A

Comments

The color that instantly popped into my mind for next year, given their last few picks…was garish purple. When I first found my “farmhouse” I thought the resounding color in and around my home was ghastly. Deep Seafoam, like the sofa in one of the photos you posted. I’ve grown to love it, though…the entire staircase and railing portion has got to go!

Happy New Year!

: )

Julie M.

ps Confession, when I was studying fashion design at FIDM in the early nineties, I designed ultra-lowrise slacks and shirts with giant stylized floral motifs. Was I forecasting, or do you think instructors in the industry swipe ideas from their students…or both??

I live in Maine and turquoise is only just showing up here. I think New England modifies everything, though. I bought a couch that isn’t turquoise but a lovely blue green. It’s my girly answer to the brown couch that is the color of the dog in the other room.

Interesting post over here~I think dusty purple will be the next color of the year~and trends will include metals of all types, but especially heading back to gold, and natural things like bonsai trees for interior accessories. I would love to see old fashioned glazed flloral chintz fabrics make a comeback and read somewhere they were forecast as a trend, which would make me a happy girl.

I’m not a ‘trend’ person. So all trends do is make it easier or harder to find looks I am going to use. Orange will make it hard…

Hi Jen! I must be right on track with the 2012 trends,lol! My post from yesterday was all about….crochet accessories!

Have a great weekend!

Hi Jennifer,

Not sure if the orange tango will be a huge color in my home, but maybe small pops here and there:)? I think you are right on…crochet accessories, dark-blue denim. I also think brass is coming back, and I have noticed wallpaper or stenciled patterns on walls are starting to make an appearance.

Great post! Have a lovely day:).

~Julia

Since I live in a beach resort town we are always seeing the brights against the whites and grey. Orange, turquoise, lime, red, etc. I hope metal doesn’t go away, especially chippy white and rusty but I can’t afford to follow trends in a big way so keeping a neutral background lets me throw a pillow out or hang a picture when I feel out of the loop! But running a teeny tiny business as I do still means I need to monitor trends somewhat. Good post and good discussions!

I interpret the colors as casual brights.
    I think they will be wonderful on the back porch, the patio, and in the back yard!
    With that said,I am interested to see how ready to wear’s colorful skinny jeans perform.
    On Wednesday,I blogged about a possible return of “roaring romantic” with all the buzz surrounding the remake of The Great Gatsby!
    I love idea about the return of crocheted accessories.
    There are lifetimes of vintage crochet waiting to be rediscovered!
    All in all…much fun ahead!
    ~Lynne
    [w/L]

I interpret the colors as casual brights.
    I love idea about the return of crocheted accessories.
    There are lifetimes of vintage crochet waiting to be rediscovered!
    All in all…much fun ahead!
    ~Lynne
    [w/L]

I interpret the colors as casual brights.
    I love idea about the return of crocheted accessories.
    There are lifetimes of vintage crochet waiting to be rediscovered!
    All in all…much fun ahead!
    ~Lynne
    [w/L]

I interpret the colors as casual brights.
    I love idea about the return of crocheted accessories.
    There are lifetimes of vintage crochet waiting to be rediscovered!
    All in all…much fun ahead!
    ~Lynne
    [w/L]

I interpret the colors as casual brights.
    I love idea about the return of crocheted accessories.
    There are lifetimes of vintage crochet waiting to be rediscovered!
    All in all…much fun ahead!
    ~Lynne
    [w/L]

I interpret the colors as casual brights.
    I love idea about the return of crocheted accessories.
    There are lifetimes of vintage crochet waiting to be rediscovered!
    All in all…much fun ahead!
    ~Lynne
    [w/L]

I interpret the colors as casual brights.
    I love idea about the return of crocheted accessories.
    There are lifetimes of vintage crochet waiting to be rediscovered!
    All in all…much fun ahead!
    ~Lynne
    [w/L]

I interpret the colors as casual brights.
    I love idea about the return of crocheted accessories.
    There are lifetimes of vintage crochet waiting to be rediscovered!
    All in all…much fun ahead!
    ~Lynne
    [w/L]

As far as color … I’m thinking purple is next on the list. As far as pattern … I predict paisley is going to make a huge comeback. I also think darker, richer wood tones will come into play. I think white will become less prominent (gasp), used more as an accent and less as the dominant color. I think shabby chic has run its course for now. I still like that look, but I think it’s on it’s way out with people desiring richer colors in the near future. Just my humble opinion. This was a fun exercise!

I don’t keep up with the trends at all. I have a core group of colors that I tend to stick with.

Would love to see a lovely red as the color of the year sometime.

I do like orange. Maybe because it was my father’s favorite color. He certainly found ways to wear manly shades of it.

But…orange really will not work in my home. I’ll look forward to fashion accessories in it though.

So you’re thinking green. Hmmm. I think maybe you are on to something. My second choice is brown. Crazy I know. There are a lot of shades of green. If it’s green it will no doubt be bright. I like your top picks for trends. Except I’m a jewel tone girl….always will be. But, I’m good with that. I also like to go against the flow sometimes.

i don’t worry much about their picks since i’m not a huge fan of all those crazy bright colors but it’s fun to see what people do with them! hope all is well! susan

When I was a little girl, yellow was my favorite color when everyone else loved blue. My bedroom was yellow too.

Now I am constantly looking for the perfect yellow accessories for my master bedroom. It seems they are way too expensive and harder to come by. But since yellow was the it color in 2009 I guess I am behind the times.~Ames