Cutie-patootie chairs…..

I thought these chairs had such a cute shape, but they  really needed a little paint pick-me up.
When I started blogging all I did was paint furniture. I love painting furniture. The last year with working I haven’t had as much time, but I have really missed it. So, I’ve decided  to  try to get a few pieces a month into my little booth.
I did one with dark grey and light blue, and then I reversed the other chair and painted that one light blue with dark grey.
 I actually use brown paint to age them; a technique I am going to to be talking about and showing you how to do in the Creatively Made Home e-course. It’s a super easy way to age furniture and easy to do.
 I’ve been painting furniture for almost 14 years now and I actually prefer to not use paste wax, especially brown paste wax for many reasons. I know it’s hot right now; but I just think there are more disadvantages to advantages. I know you chalk paint lovers will hate me for that, but it’s just a personal preference. :)
 I finish most of my pieces with a polyacrylic in matte or satin.
 It’s a super-durable finish and holds up well with  kids.
 That, and a bit of sanding and acrylic paint just give it that extra bit of patina to take these old chairs from just old to worn and lovely.

Comments

I love these Jen! Love that you kept a center design instead of painting it out. I had to laugh at your chalk paint lovers comment. I’ve tried it and just don’t see what the big deal is but maybe I need to try a different color than white?

i don’t use wax very often either. i actually have been using a soap mixture like the europeans do.

smiles to you and hope you’ll visit soon.

michele

Jennifer, Do you have detail on this online course? Specific days and time? Are they weekly classes? I’d love to enter but I’m not sure if that works with my current work schedule. Can you provide more info? Please? :)

• 18

Hi Cheryl, if you go up to my right sidebar you’ll see the link/badge where you can get more info and register. It is an on-line course at your own pace and runs for 5 weeks starting in October; but the site will remain open through Feb.let me know if you have nay other questions! Jen

I love those chairs!!!!! Gorgeous, really a beautiful job! Now I’m going to ask you Jen (since I can’t wait for class- wink)—- can you use this brown paint aging technique on chalk paint? Or do the two just not mix??????

Jen – Love your finished chairs. Unique details. I paint furniture also and I agree that I’d rather use a polyacrylic finish than wax. Personal preference I guess. To me, it just holds up better. Good job!

Judy

alisa says

You are so helpful!!! Best website…. And I have checked a lot out!! Questions:
    1) i am painting my cabinets with a home made chalk paint, made with plaster of Paris.. I know, not everyone’sffavorite…. But now I am wondering how to protect them??
    2) I definitely wat to glaze them, but do I still need to poly them?? Or should i use clear wax, then glaze and then poly??AAnd when to sand?? I guess I am confused on the order…. I want cabinets with the dark detail only in the creases, I want to avoid the streaky wax look.

• 30

Jennifer says

HI Alisa,
      1.I am not sure with the homemade chalk paint, I’ve never used that before. I would assume the same way as regular chalk paint. I do know that plaster of paris absorbs stains like crazy,so I would do some test pieces on regular wood and see what finish works best.
      2. With the homemade chalk paint, I would really play with it first before you do it on cabinets on test pieces on the ground… Normally it’s paint, glaze and poly/wax. But you might want to paint,poly,glaze ,poly so the glaze doesn’t all get sucked in and it has something to glide a bit on.I would follow the directions on the poly can for the best results. Let me know how it works out.

• 31

Alisa says

Thanks! I think you have addressed this before, but just to check what everyone means by “poly” in this conversation: do I use Polyurethane or Polyacrylic?

Caitlin says

I have a question for you that I can not seem to find the answer to. I have painted some furniture and used the Valspars antiquing glaze on it (looks beautiful) but I waited about 2-3 days for the glaze to dry and I started putting on the polycrylic and it started to take the glaze off! What do you suggest I use/do for a sealer?? Thanks so much!

Trackbacks