Modernizing an old cane-back chair with tufting….

I picked up a set of 3 of these old caned chair’s for $40. I totally scored a deal.  I loved the style, but the caning was so dried out, when I tossed the chairs in the back of my van, they cracked all over. I decided it would be easier to make it an upholstered piece instead of trying to re-cane it.

I thought it would bring a more modern touch.and I love the result!

I first took the seat off and painted the frame, and recovered the bottom seat. You can see a tutorial from a few years ago on how to do that here.
For the top caned part, I used quilt batting to stuff the back which I laid on top before I stapled it. All. the way. around. I think I went through about 400 staples.
I then hot glued on trim to cover the staples.
 When I did the top I used plain linen. I thought it might look busy to do both the upper and lower the same pattern.
 I actually really like contrast of the top and bottom.
 I tufted it with a vintage button and added a pretty beige trim I found at Jo-ann Fabrics.
I am going to take it over to my new space on February 1st.

I am going to be opening a “Petite Shoppe”; I’ve decided to take a different approach to things and am grabbing a slightly bigger space at Affordable Antiques.

I need to decide if I am going to do the other two chairs the same way, or if I want to mix it up a little. :)

Linking up here at From my Front porch to yours and at Southern Savvy Style.

Comments

Wow Jen that chair is gorgeous!! What a transformation! Congratulations on taking a bigger space!I am now taking on a partner to help with my rent.Things are starting to look better :-)
    xx
    Anne

Wow Jennifer the chairs are coming out so beautiful. What a beautiful choice of fabrics too. They really look great. I need to get down to Naperville and check out your space soon.
    Kris

Jennifer, great idea and I love it. I also have old cain/french chairs and the cain part is very tired….my creative juices are flowing from this wonderful post. Your end result….beautiul. Blessings, Karen from A Cape Cod Nest.

Hello, I am a new follower, spotted your chair on Thistlewood Farm. It turned out beautiful and has really inspired me to rethink my own project! I just bought 6 cane back chairs for $75! The cane is in great condition, but I’m really liking this look with the padded back. My question is for the button tufting, how did you finish that on the back side? Did you pull it through the cane and paint the thread to match the chair? My chairs are long straight back, so not sure if I should do two tufts or 4 or maybe even 6 with 3 pairs of two?

Kim Hake says

Excellent!!! I will be transforming my entire dining set now. This is just what I was looking for to update my dining set. Thank you!!!

Nicole says

Hi Jennifer, I see there have been several requests for a back pic! I would love to see what you did for the back tufting and covering… :)