I picked up a set of 3 of these old caned chair's for $40. I totally scored a deal. I loved the style, but the caning was so dried out, when I tossed the chairs in the back of my van, they cracked all over. I decided it would be easier to make it an upholstered piece instead of trying to re-cane it.
I first took the seat off and painted the frame, and recovered the bottom seat. You can see a tutorial from a few years ago on how to do that here.
For the top caned part, I used quilt batting to stuff the back which I laid on top before I stapled it. All. the way. around. I think I went through about 400 staples.
I then hot glued on trim to cover the staples.
When I did the top I used plain linen. I thought it might look busy to do both the upper and lower the same pattern.
I actually really like contrast of the top and bottom.
I tufted it with a vintage button and added a pretty beige trim I found at Jo-ann Fabrics.
I am going to take it over to my new space on February 1st.
I need to decide if I am going to do the other two chairs the same way, or if I want to mix it up a little. :)