From fruit bar to grown-up slushy drinks….

Are you a popsicle and fruit bar person? We are. We LOVE us some popsicles in the summer, spring, winter, anytime…in fact it could be 5 degrees outside and my kids would ask for popsicles. We actually found Edy’s Outshine bars a few years ago when they were just called Edy’s fruit bars and that is still the only kind we buy.

With all of the food allergies  and sensitivities in our house, we can’t do corn syrup or food dyes. And it’s hard to find a popsicle or fruit bar without corn syrup products in them. Believe me, we’ve tried. The Outshine bars don’t have any of that junk, are made with real fruit juice, and are a healthier alternative. Otherwise, our other option is organic popsicles and $10 for 4 bars isn’t really an option. I at least know the kids are getting some fruit in their snack too for a treat.

And if you melt it in a glass for the kids , it makes a yummy slushy. Sometimes I will melt a few together and let them mix flavors and they end up with a tropical fruit slushy.
Below here are some grown up frosty drinks from popsicles!
Make grown-up slushy drinks for popsicles
 I have to admit as a grown-up I like having a treat myself, Here are a few “recipes”
Melt:
  2 strawberry flavored bars just until they are slightly soft and mash them with a spoon, and add a splash or two of rum
2 lime  bars  and a bit of tequila makes an instant margarita
and 1 Coconut bar, 1/2 cup of pineapple juice, and a splash rum would be good with a bit of pina colada
2 Peach, a few sprigs of crushed fresh mint and splash of  bourbon
…Always drink responsibly!
Summer has to be yummy for the grown ups too!
Microsoft Word - Document2 2

Comments

I am going to have to look for these pops here. Until today, I had not even heard of them. This is probably because my husband does the bulk of our grocery shopping. I am learning a lot from my blogging friends. Thanks for your tips on using these, Jen!

Oh, my goodness! We live within 10-15 miles of an Edy’s Company. And I’ve tasted these bars. They are fantastic. Hard to beat. I do like D.Q. Blizzards….my favorite being a Heath Bar made with chocolate ice cream. Yum!

Anything frozen is such a treat in the summer, but these fruit bars are my favorite – especially berry-flavored! No guilt!

I think popsicles and frozen yogurt are my favorites for summer. Funny that you just posted this, as I just came home from the store and brought home the mango and pineapple. I haven’t tried this brand before, so I am looking forward to it! I am trying to find alternatives to dairy for me, so I think these may do it! Heather

I’ve been a fan of Edy’s fruit popcicles for a long time…. I buy the smaller size (1.5 oz) pops and have them in my freezer all year round.

My weakness is ice cream. Any flavor, anytime! The Outshine bars look yummy too. I must try them!!!! Especially the coconut and strawberry!

Spot on! I love Edy’s fruit bars. Pineapple isn’t easy to find in treats. I’ll be looking for them locally.

Edy’s regular Acai Blueberry fruit bar is a favorite.

Ice cream cones are usually my favorite. But, these really sound so good and love that they’re low in calories.
    rickpeggysmith(at)aol(dot)com

I typically like ice cream twist in a cup.
    but outshine sounds great! Never tried it before.
    tamarsweeps-at-gmail-dot-com

I love ice cream, but these sound delicious – I would love to try the strawberry and mango flavors

cgies25 at hotmail

my favorite frozen treat is ice cream but i can’t have it too often if i don’t want to gain weight…
    stigay at comcast.net

Fruit pops like Outshine bars are my favorite. So refreshing and not too heavy in the heat. When I was pregnant with my daughter, I had morning sickness really bad for a while. Fruit pops were about all I could eat up until evening time. Such a blessing!

I love to indulge in a peanut butter cup blizzard, but these fruit bars sound like a much smarter choice. I haven’t sampled them (yet) but would love to give them a try.

sharonjo at gwtc dot net

My favorite frozen summertime treat is chocolate ice cream. It might change after I try these Outshine bars. :) They sound delicious and refreshing. just what I needed now.

amy [at] utry [dot] it

I love fudgesicles, ice cream in any shape and frozen fruit bars for the extra refreshing treat.

willitara [at] gmail [dot] com

I ate the strawberry today (95 degrees here).
    I want to try the pineapple.
    Thanks for the contest.

slehan at juno dot com

My favorite summertime treat is homemade sorbet – but the Outshine bars in lime are a close second!! weddingfund [at] hotmail [dot com]

anything frozen is good – we do more popsicles like outshine bars in summer and scoop ice cream in the winter. really enjoyed putting an outshine strawberry bar in a glass of OJ and having the juice freeze in a layer on the pop!

I love the Outshine Bars and so do the kids. It’s easier on the tummy than ice cream especially on the super hot days and we can do so many different things with them. we love to melt and mix them as well as eating them frozen!

Summer time means frozen anything. Outshine bars are definitely on that list & now thanks to Jennifer’s suggestion, I’ll be keeping some in the freezer year round for cocktail time.

Ok, now I can’t stop thinking of Outshine drinks.
    I am going to get Coconut and mix it with some Kahlua & Chocolate liqueur!